Re: Another combat factor

Russell Boggs (
20 Sep 1994 12:20:37 U

Reply to: RE>>Another combat factor

Regarding William Senke's idea of unwieldy stacks:

I think it's a good concept. There should be some sort of rules covering
drilling troops to operate in phalanxes or lines or whatever. They should
have a distinct advantage over people just thrown together just before a
battle or armies of animals.

Date: 9/20/94 12:10 PM
To: Russell Boggs
From: William Senke <>
Subject: Re: Another combat factor
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 1994 14:26:50 EDT

> [this would mostly apply to a furture variant of Olympia, so please
> don't base reactions on the g1 status quo]
> I was thinking about how oly combat favors cannon fodder, and how
> it's difficult to make a really tough monster, since even super-high
> attack/defense values are overwhelmed by mobs of peasants.
> I was thinking of adding a fourth value to the combat vector: a weight
> which would provide the basis for choosing attackers instead of head
> count. Thus, it can be thought of as "speed".

I like this idea if it applies to stakcs as well as individuals. A noble
with 100 peasants would have a hard time getting them going in the same
direction compared to 4 nobles with 25 peasants each (i.e. officer/noncoms).
Also one noble with 5 soldiers would be faster(2x) than one noble with 5
peasants. When you add in beasts the unwieldiness increases without more
supervision. Thus factions would spend more time on small high quality
stacks vice big meanie stacks.
> So an (80,80,0,10) noble vs a (80,80,0,20) noble would get half as many
> attacks in, since the opponent is twice as fast.
> --
> Rich Skrenta <>
This 4th number speed/dexterity/? would increase based on attack/defense
as well as the qualtiy of nobles/others he surrounds him/her self with.

Email:                          215 Parkway North