Re: Magic

Wes Jones (wrj%eng.tridom.com@mathcs.emory.edu)
Tue, 11 Aug 92 08:14:32 EDT

Scott writes:
> With a spell-toting combatant, the unit can either cast one of several
> spells, or fight normally. We currently have the choice of weapon to
> chose, but that's easily resolved by just picking the weapon that will
> do the most damage. However, in magic this isn't as simple.

This is why I proposed just one blaster spell. There's no choices and it
should work automatically anytime the magic user is involved in combat.

> First off, how do you chose between "Fireball", which does 20 points of damage
> to a unit, or "Phantom Armor" which diminises damage taken by 10%? What the
> right choice to take is depends on the creature(s) being fought - a strong
> opponent would call for the defensive spell, while a lone Orc would be better
> fried than defended against.

I would propose that the warding spells last for long time (dependent on
the level of the caster) so that a mage skilled in the spell could cast it
and have it last for several weeks (similar to the duration of haste, slow,
etc).

> 2.) I believe the magic system is slated to be moved to a multiple-school
> system.

I seem to remember this rumor also. I'm not a big fan of schools of magic.
I used to play a FRP called 'DragonQuest' which had several different
schools. This added some color to the game but there will invariably be
a best school and a wimpy school in these types of systems. I'm not
opposed to this notion, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Wes Jones Voice: (404) 514-3385
AT&T Tridom Internet: wrj@eng.tridom.com

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who
are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win
before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win."
- Zhuge Liang, 3rd century C.E.