Re: Oly I Combat

Russell Boggs (
21 Sep 1994 10:04:27 U

Reply to: RE>>Oly I Combat

re: dictators

okay, okay, okay ... no VOTE command.
How about a POLL command? Where the GM requests our opinion?

Date: 9/21/94 9:59 AM
To: Russell Boggs
From: Rich Skrenta <>
Subject: Re: Oly I Combat
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 1994 11:31:10 -0400 (EDT)

> I played in Oly I, and I had absolutely NO problems with any of it. All
> of the things you mention above I want. The current system, is too
> simple, and in its own simplicity, kinda not fun. The best I can say
> for it is it's functional.

The problem with Oly I is that it blew up. It wasn't balanced.
(It had other problems, like half of it wasn't documented, but
those weren't flaws in the design.)

I'd suggest touching up Oly I and running it too ("Olympia Classic"),
except I think time has rosied our perception of it.

I'm all for striving towards new, dizzying heights of complexity.
However, the thing has to work, or it will self-destruct on turn 20.
Some of the structural changes made between Oly I and Oly II were
so that the system could be understood and properly tuned.

> Which brings up a question of curiosity? How many of the players
> read this design list? Or what percentage?

There are 46 players on the design list, or about 1/3 of the players.

> Oh, one last thing. When are we going to see a VOTE command. Rich
> can ask a question in the Times, and we can all send in our VOTE on
> the issue.

Votes? I'm a dictator. :-)

Rich Skrenta <>