Re: Recruit/impress

Greg Lindahl (gl8f@fermi.clas.Virginia.EDU)
Sat, 18 Jul 92 13:01:41 -0400

On Jul 18, 9:39, Rich Skrenta wrote:

> Who has an opinion on how RECRUIT should work? Should it use the
> region resource production model?

Well, in addition to having a limit to the number of people, perhaps
you ought to be able to hire more people if you offer more money,
which makes the thing more complex. But, for now, I think we could
live with recruit merely being limited, and add variable cost later.

> With land ownership about to be added to Olympia, I was considering
> having IMPRESS steal men from the local town, bypassing the RECRUIT
> mechanism. This would of course anger the town leader, and the recruits
> would have low loyalty.

Well, I dislike land ownership ;-), but having IMPRESS go around the
RECRUIT limits is an excellent idea that gives IMPRESS much more
meaning. One easy way to put limits on impress, then, is to make
IMPRESS a public action (like entertainment), and then have IMPRESS
reduce the number of recruits and entertainment available next turn,
i.e. you see Fred impressing people, and you know it's going to hurt
your recruiters and entertainers in the near future, because the
townspeople/cityfolk/farmers are upset in general. That provides a
nice feedback loop.

-- greg

--- End of forwarded message from MAILER-DAEMON (Mail Delivery Subsystem)