Re: Ultimate Goals in Olympia

Greg Lindahl (gl8f@fermi.clas.Virginia.EDU)
Mon, 9 Jan 1995 16:32:00 GMT

In article <3eklij$hg7@news.aero.org>,
Scott Turner <srt@sun-dimas.aero.org> wrote:

>Yes, you can't garrison the whole world. But so what? Once you've
>garrisoned one island/continent, is it really that interesting to
>garrison another?

Yes. I want as much power as I can so that I can beat up my foes, like
you. I suspect you're kind of driven by the same motivation ;-)

>I believe that to most players "more of the same" is simply not
>interesting in the long run. In the current game, you can
>experience most of the opportunities the game offers in the first
>couple of game years, and past that it is just "more is better".

This is more of a matter of "does the game system offer new things
when I play ignoring the other players" than "is the game
interesting". Oleg gets his kicks out of player interaction; being
powerful is a means to this end. I was somewhat bored in the OlyI
beta-test after I escaped Chardia, even though I became the richest
player, because all I wanted to do was defeat you, but I was beaten to
the punch. OK, I was entertained by BtA & Amber chasing my 3 scouts
all over the place with 1000 men, but we'll chalk that one up to
Rich's funny code...

>>Oleg without a cause is kind of boring. Well, Oleg with a cause
>>*still* bores some people...
>
>Oleg is hardly boring.

You heard it here first, folks ;-)