Re: Dead Factions

Ben Swain (csc2bds@cabell.vcu.edu)
Mon, 24 Oct 94 21:58:44 EDT

Rich Skrenta writes:

> The problem is that leaving all these prisoners and dead bodies around
> after quits is a hole in my NP system.

Yes. A hole that I don't like. But I may be in the minority on this
point.

> Hmmm. Okay, I've just thought of a wonderfully beautiful solution.
> The real problem with the current scheme of keeping prisoners and
> dead bodies around when the owning player quits is the degradation
> to unsworn status, in the case of prisoners, and the auto-swear to
> the resurrecting priest's faction in the case of dead bodies.

Agreed on the degradation to UNSWORN status. They should retain
their previous loyalty level.

To the best of my recall, you changed this shortly before the end of
the alpha-test. RESURRECTed nobles no longer SWEAR to the
RESURRECTing priest, and they do retain the loyalty level they had at
death. Did I miss something?

> Instead, prisoners could simply become independent, but retain their
> current loyalty. Dead bodies revived without an owner, instead of
> swearing to the priest's faction upon returning to life, could instead
> swear to the independent player. Thus, the difficulty of obtaining
> NP's from prisoners and dead bodies would be unaffected by the owning
> player's QUIT.

Yes; I like this solution.

Ben
csc2bds@cabell.vcu.edu