Re: "Black Press"

Greg Lindahl (gl8f@fermi.clas.virginia.edu)
Fri, 14 Oct 1994 14:54:41 -0400

On Oct 14, 11:46, Steve Chapin wrote:

> Scott sent this to the wrong list (I think that fall down Mt. Olympus
> after his most recent tete-a-tete with Oleg has left him slightly
> confused).

I dunno, Steve, after hearing what your characters have been up to,
maybe they need a tete-a-tete with Oleg too ;-)

Scott Turner writes:

> The problem with a player-run press is that you have to reveal your
> identity to another player in the game. If I want to post a validated
> letter from "f9u", then I would have to reveal that I am behind "f9u"
> to the press moderator.

Yeah, that might be a feature, but many things so far have been signed
by factions, not by characters.

> There's also the problem that player-run press is only as trustworthy
> as the player running it. To randomly pick an example, if the head of
> the CoE ran a press, I'd hardly believe any postings in it purportedly
> from the AOO :-).

Just like the relative lack of forgeries so far, I doubt this is a
problem. All you need is one accusation of lying, and trust is
destroyed. That's why Oleg publishes ANYTHING he gets for the lore
archive, even if he'd rather that it were secret.

In addition, it's easy to verify things by writing the character who
allegedly made the posting.

-- g