Re: Time beats phases-and-points

Patrick McLaughlin (pmcl@cts.com)
Mon, 26 Sep 1994 14:17:41 -700 (PDT)

On Mon, 26 Sep 1994, Rich Skrenta wrote:

> > HOWEVER, I do wish you;d allow diagonal movement, and make it cost
> > say 1.5 times as much as an orthogonal move. It's a decent approximation,
> > and makes moving faster so you can do more stuff in a month, and
> > is more realistic to boot. Is there some reason why this is not done?
>
> Hmmm, no. Should I allow this?

Yes, please. It's one of the oldest offenses against realism in
orthographic games maps, and is one of the reasons that hex maps became
so popular. This does fix it, enough. BUT, it also introduces half
days... now if that's the only place that half days appear, then I'd
suggest that you treat this as two days for the first diagonal move, 1
for the second.... That way, it keeps people in synch with the normal
time frame. But, I suppose that you'd have to figure out just how to
rate the relative time of entry into the province for priority reasons.

To wit:
Nobles A, B, C are in provinces ab01, ab02 and aa02, and all wish to go
to ac02. Noble A will arrive in 1.5 (read 2) days, behind Noble B
(arrives day 1), and ahead of C (arriving day 2), assuming they all leave
at the same time.