Re: Smashes (was: Another combat factor)

Carl Edman (cedman@cedman.remote.Princeton.EDU)
Wed, 21 Sep 94 18:55:42 -0400

The Painful One writes:
> Carl writes:
> >In other words there would be situations in which you are either more
> >likely to win or likely to suffer smaller losses by giving away parts of
> >your forces first.
>
> I don't think there are any situations where you are more likely to win
> by giving away forces (can you give an example?).

If I think long enough and hard enough, probably. :)

> Of course there are situations where you are likely to suffer smaller
> losses by giving away parts of your forces. Consider:
>
> A B
>
> 1 dragon 1 chimera
> 10 peasants
>
> Getting rid of the 10 peasants is going to reduce your overall losses
> without measurably affecting your chance of success in the current combat
> system, the 4:1 system, and the smash system.

Actually, giving away those 10 peasants reduces your chance of victory by
20%. You lose 0.2 dragons for 1.1 peasants -- hardly a good deal. Keep
those peasants and always attack with a force as strong as you can possibly
make it to minimize your total losses.

Carl Edman