Re: Province ownership and other subjects

Greg Lindahl (gl8f@fermi.clas.Virginia.EDU)
Mon, 27 Jul 92 18:52:35 -0400

On Jul 27, 15:29, "Scott R. Turner" wrote:

> Okay, Greg, I'll bite. What mechanisms exist for:
>
> (1) Keeping units from entering a province.
> (2) Keeping units in a province from purchasing at the market.
> (3) Taxing peasants in a location.

I wasn't talking about that, Scott. I said: if you want to kill the
Orcs in the Chardia region (I phrased that badly, I must admit) and
collect protection money from the player population, you can do so
with the current rules. I don't see why the above 3 things are
necessary for Olympia, and I have pointed out how #3 is extremely hard
to get right without screwing up the game.

In fact, #1 is also hard to get right. Does a unit that is challenged
always stop, even if it outnumbers the blocking unit? I have 3,000 men
and 1 man tells me to stop, so I pick my nose for 29 days. Or, is
combat automatic? Or do we have 50 options we can twiddle? How does 1
man watch a 300-mile-wide border anyway?

However, you can implement #1, in a fashion, today. You tell people to
not enter your province without asking, and when they do so, you then
hunt them down and kill them. It's effective if you're powerful, and
uses today's rules. If Rich makes HOSTILE attitude work, you can make
sure they never come back, or make your default attitude HOSTILE to
everyone and only neutral to the people who have asked in advance if
they can enter. See how simple such things are, without ownership?