Home  |  Olympia  |  Arena  |  PBM FAQ  |  Links


   | The Olympia Times                                        issue g1-19 |
   | November 2, 1994                                                     |
   |                                                                      |
   |                                           "Bureaucracy is the death  |
   | turn 19  177 players                             of any achievement" |

Questions, comments, to play: info@pbm.com

Olympia PBEM

* * *

When I came last to Ludlow Amidst the moonlight pale, Two friends kept step beside me, Two honest lads and hale.

Now Dick lies long in the churchyard, And Ned lies long in jail, And I come home to Ludlow Amidst the moonlight pale.

-- A.E. Housman

* * *

Player-contributed press

Galley available for sale in Imperial CIty - 1500 obo. Contact [kc7] for details.

The Olympia Atlas is accepting contributions, and is available for download! Be the first to contribute information for unexplored lands (Hades, Faery).

In the tradition of Oleg's Map (tm), the Atlas is a compilation of geographical information useful for explorers, traders, and adventurers. Best of all, it's absolutely free!

To contribute to the Atlas, simply send turn excerpts (cut out all the incriminating parts) that contain the following information:

o) Mapping data (region & route info) o) City market reports o) City skills lists o) Inner locations

and send it to sx6@g1.pbm.com. We'll include it into the next version of the Atlas.

The Atlas is available by ftp from your nearest PBM ftp site (ftp.erg.sri.com in the USA, check the PBM FAQ for other sites), in the directory /pub/pbm/olympia, as atlas.X, where X is the turn of the last update.

The Atlas is also available on the PBMGames forum on CompuServe, in the fantasy games section, as atlas.oly.

The turn 18 version of the atlas is currently available at both sites.

Brought to you by the Skulking Vermin (sx6)

I am NEW here and was wondering if any alliances were looking for new recruits. I would be interested to hear from any interested in my services. What might those services be, Inital goal will be to achieve gatemaster status while learning of new gates. Other nobles in my employ will be concurrently developing skills in Beastmastery, Combat and other skills that you might find interesting. What would I desire from my allies? A secure place to establish a base for study and developement. Not much to ask I think.

The Order of the Black Night Adain [r5w]

Journal - Snowmelt, Year 3

We are traveling again, and seem to be in a deserted spot. Our allies are out of the fog and have joined us. Ilyena has been more diligent than I in her studies. I must put my nose to the grindstone so that I can pull my weight.

Again peasants flock to my banner. Ilyena and I will continue to give these poor naves to Jearom to train and guide.

Rumors of war sweep across the land. The Iron Nation was bloodied attacking the Ancient Order of Olympians. I do hope that we are not caught up in the mop-up operations. Jearom will be on the lookout for these dangers. I will leave the matter in his hands.

I still long to return home, but I do not miss the Ture Source as I thought I would. I remain on the lookout for Portal Stones.

The Lord of the Morning, The Dragon, Lews Therin Telamon [m3m] aka Erik Ker

They say you can't hide a merchant ship. Find me if you can. Mr. Katanga(j1t)

OP NEWS - Imperial City - Renowned sage, Bent Latnium, announced today that after careful study, the Imperial City appears to be dropping into the Atnos Channel. He sights over-crowding and the undermining of the city's foundation by over-eager pot makers. Mr. Latnium completely discounts the rumor that the city is actually a magically sentient being fleeing the foul stench of the AOO citadel on Mt. Olympus. Whatever the true cause, all nobles are encouraged to evacuate the city in an orderly fashion.


The Pilgrims Aid Society exists to help new nobles in Olympia get there bearings and avoid those early turn blunders. "Help, rats just ran off with my oath-2 noble..." We are not: an alliance the secret police for the AOO (or any other alliance) a breakfast cereal

The second edition of the Pilgrims Land Claim Log is now available at a sight or library near you. All new outrageous claims to lands most of us haven't even heard of. Get your copy today!

New nobles are encouraged to contact the Pilgrims Aid Society at: 76336.3033@Compuserve.com

Akmall Benhalla [p3p]

The surefire way to keep prisoners from vanishing is to give them at least 250 gold just before you free them (1000 gold makes this 100% certain.)

If the winter is cold and the road gets old If the trip seems long only for the strong If the time seems ever to bring bad weather Endure the weather and suffer the cold Continue to travel and do it bold For one day and very soon Your castle will rise up to the moon One day your galley will sail and memories of stagnation begin to pale The world is wide and full of chances each week of travel your hope enhances. So make a new world from the groundfloor up It all begins new just like a pup.

helpfull tip #354

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Its is odd starting off on your own for the first time. I wonder what this new land holds for one such as myself. I wonder ...

In a remarkably brief time, the Dun Dragon Inn has become one of the favorite playgrounds for Olympia's rich and powerful. Just last month, one well-heeled patron alone dropped 110 gold at the posh establishment. "A trifling sum", the worthy gentleman said, "for the opportunity to travel to the hinterland in style. The cuisine is superb, the accommodations luxurious, and the clientele exclusive. No doubt that Calvin Trillion fellow would give the place his highest rating -- if only he could get in."

The Dun Dragon -- Torba Bacor's first and finest establishment. "A flagon at the Dragon is the Brew that is True!"

Now that the dust has finally settled, I wish to publicly congratulate the involved AOO factions for their masterful defense of Chateau Oly. And also to congratulate Steve Chapin as well, for one heck of a nuisance campaign.

Will there be a rematch? Only time (and lots of it) will tell. Me, I'm leaving town, no more land wars in Asia. (grin)

Tony Baldacci

Turn 18, at a soldier's bar some small distance from Chateau Olympique; Dionysis, pale and waxen, raises another toast, "Well lads, gave it out best shot, we did, and to the underworld with us, by Jove, better a dead lion than live dog, eh!" He slugs back another one. His two companions, Harald Hardrada and Ulf Uspaksson, grunted their assent. The barmaid and innkeeper keep their distance from this moody crew, having already been paid in full for the night's festivities. Harald splashed a mug of ale in the general direction of his gapping maw. "That we did, our best shot, and for a moment I saw it open before me, a grand castle, garrisons throughout Provinia, that blasted Marat sucking his last breath from my sword." He weaved to his feet, "Aye, a kingdom, it was there but for a moment!" Ulf gazed up at his companion though bloodshot eyes. "You old fool, you got us beat by that rascal, and a good number of nobles lost as well. Better to have stayed in our towns back east than to be imprisoned in the dungeons of the Chateau. Buried in chains and fighting the rats for our meal until we die, better our way than that!" The others grunted their assent. Unable to remain quiet, the barmaid exclaimed, "Oh no fair gentlemen! It isn't that way at all! Marat promises to keep the prisoners alive and in the best of shape. Fine clothes and linen, the finest meat and wine, why just this morning they were run around the castle 6 times. The good Duke says he wants them to live a long, healthy life!" The three gave the barmaid a look of sodden disbelief, glanced at each other in disgust, then each slumped beneath the table. Agusta faction

Attention Elven Helm [bd2x] Owners

I know the location of a rich Chimera in some hidden Ruins in Provinia that requires an Elven Helm to defeat. Interested parties, including Hile Troy [i4n], should contact Negentropy [pz8] for a mutually beneficial chat.

MAFOC hereby declares war on both the Iron Nataion and the AOO. The AOO have largely defeated the Iron Nation, and now they must face us. And the Iron Nation is largely dropping and re-starting in the game, which we feel is punishable by death in and of itself. So enjoy your last few months of life while you can, scum, and learn all the skills you are able to, for soon you will be meals for our Necromancers.

Diary: Snowmelt, day 22

At last we are through the mountains! I would have never thought a barren rocky plain could look so good. It should be a straight jaunt westward to the coast now. With all the delays, I wonder if our seafaring friends will still keep the rendezvous we planned so many months ago. I hope so, but if not, better to find out now if our allies can be relied upon rather than later when more is at stake.

Mountains, mountains and yet more mountains. One begins to think this entire continent is ringed in just mountains. There has got to be a better way of travelling. *sigh* Distressed

I will soon have a mixed cargo that I would like to sell as one lot. Any Offers for the lot?

10 Lana Bark 10 Long Bows 10 Cross Bows 20 Peasants 1 Giant Spider 2 Giant Birds

[t1s] HuonBrook

I understand that a Graveyard is the path to Hades, and the fee is 100 gold per entity, including retainers. I have just found a Fairy Hill. Is this the path to Faerie? What is the cost and what is the procedure? Do you need to have some token, like an elfstone?

__ __ / /\______________________________________________________________/ /\ \_\/ \_\/ | GateMastery, the final frontier? | |<--------------------------------------------------------------->| | | | The Gatemasters are here to help *You*. | | | | Here is how it works. We have already located five gateways | | and are rapidly pinning down another four. We want to help | | you help us. Send us in your gate readings and we will send | | you back other information we have that will help you to | | pin point the gateway. If you can pinpoint a gateway that | | we have not, then you get to become a full Gatemaster will | | access to all the gate information we have. | | | | Why do we do it this way? Well there is a large effort that | | must be made in locating gates, and we don't think it's fair | | that people free-load. So long as you are actively trying | | to locate new gateways, you will continue to get help. | | essentially people get out what they put it. We work this | | way to encourage people to contribute. | | | | Interested? Send mail to q4y. | _| _| / /\______________________________________________________________/ /\ \_\/ \_\/

I fail to see why AOO is attracting so much attention. Certainly they have a strong position and may well control much of Provinia in short order, but hell there are plenty of others doing the same on other landmasses. I understand there are some who seek vengeance for past wrongs. To them I would only suggest that revenge is a dish best served cold. Prepare yourself, build your strength. Your chance will come.....

We would like to announce the grand opening of The Groundhog Tavern. The Groundhog is located in beautiful Dafarik, the largest city on Tollus. We are located in the Gentle Plains in eastern Tollus. Bypass the Mellow Yellow Pub, to find the only real inn on Tollus. Never will you hear any songs about spam in this establishment. Take the extra walk, it is well worth it.

Thales [e8q]

Swamp, swamp, swamp, swamp! Only bleedin' thin in sight. Dambed first mate went off and made a spliff outa the last map. Suppose I should make me 'nother best as I can and sees if I can get this wreck to port so as to make the lads a little more agreeable. Maybe they won't go a runnin' off on me den. Not that there is anything to run to mind. The lads keep claimin' dat der be a pretty lass who keeps comin' by but I think it be the shrooms they been smokin'.

Don't even tink 'bout it or I'll cut yer arm off the map is for guidance 'o th seas not fer makin' yer self a splif.....

Bleedin' bunch a fools I went an hired dis lot...

Groweling Beerswooler "Me ship is in me bottle.." [k7u] Admerial, MAFOC SS Slotted Spoon

As a new noble he had though it fitting to hire a bard to record all the epic deads he was destined to do. But as they sat by the camp fire he could only cringe as he heard his soldiers and peasants sing the bards sole creation for the umtyith time. That song about his heroic slaughter of 471 mosquitos, 26 tics, and 2 leeches in his first month as a noble really didn't seem to do him justice.

Further writings from a water logged journal:

We have finally found a gap in those accursed mountains! The seas conspired against us though and we were forced to sail past the gap. Now that we have regained control of the ship, we shall turn around and put our feet on land. The only problem may be if the.....

Some thoughts on the AOO/IN confrontation. Take them as you will:

The more he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

The anger of a good man lasts an instant; that of a meddler two hours; that of a base man a day and a night; and that of a great sinner until death. - Sanskrit proverb

O ye of little faith indeed! Your humble correspondent is eating pie that is anything but humble! Duke Marat did not massacre (not *yet*, at least ) any of the IN nobles in bx22! Far from it, the great Duke displayed a generosity of spirit, not before seen on this world, that stopped the IN nobles in their tracks! Yes, not only did Marat (praise to his name!) not attack them, he also displayed his generosity in a very material way - he GAVE them enough stone to build another castle!

Amidst the general rejoicing, your correspondent is almost alone in noticing that the recipients of this noblesse largesse were indeed stopped in their tracks - quite literally. The noble Duke had MISCALCULATED, and gave them so much stone that the IN's fetchers and carriers (you know, the feelthy pheasants etc) decided to be revolting (what's new?) and REFUSED TO MOVE!!! Fair enough! Not Marat's fault if all the IN peasantry go on strike.

The IN themselves had proposed this method of dealing with Percival the Prim, *BANDIT OF THE YEAR*, but were afraid that the subsequent headlines in the Times ("IN Kills with Kindness", "Percival Overwhelmed by IN's Generosity", etc) would leave them a laughing stock, or even blasphemous, in the eyes of the Great Atnerks. It appears now that the Great Atnerks has ruled it is not blasphemous, merely laughable.

For all those nobles who would prefer NOT to be stopped in their tracks by such AOO generosity, the solution is simple. Following the formal gifting of vast quantities of inanimate objects at the commencement of each month, DROP all stone, wood, etc, that you can't carry, *even if you don't have it *, just before executing each move between provinces, or between a province and a city.

But do *not* disregard the etiquette: from now on a formal note of thanks, along with an apology, must be posted whenever you actually drop anything. Something along the lines of:

"To the most noble Duke Marat, Greetings! Thank you for your most generous gift! Our peasants are overwhelmed! Some of them are still underneath! We tender our most humble apologies that we are unable to cope with such generosity. While seeking counselling, we hope you will understand that for ecological reasons we feel must pass on to the inhabitants of this region all of the resources you have so kindly provided us with that actually we cannot use personally. Salutations and again many thanks."

Failure to adhere to the etiquette is blasphemy in the eyes of the Great Atnerks! IN take note!

[ Well, as it was the IN that persuaded me not to remove the GIVE permission hole, I can only say that they should enjoy this bit of fine gaming. Enjoy your hot-potato games! -- Atnerks ]

The Scrabble Murders - Chapter Three ====================================

"Something's been bothering me, Holmes," exclaimed Dr. Watson. "We're already starting the third chapter here and no one's actually been killed at all!" The duo had caught the Aethelarn ferry, borrowed warmounts and were now climbing west into the Channel Mountains toward the Orc Institute.

Holmes sighed deeply. "It was that blasted fishwife's fault. She's the one who burst into our domicile screaming bloody murder... Anyhow, deuced interesting clues, what?" He held up the small wooden tile, pondering once again the significance of the letter 'H' and the tiny numeral two in the lower right corner.

"That's another thing," continued Watson. Isn't 'H' worth three points and not two?"

Holmes glanced over balefully. "Look, it really doesn't matter. No one plays scrabble anymore... Who's gonna know? Anyhow, here we are!" Ahead of them, the stone towers of the Orc Institute hove into view. Standing just outside was an obviously agitated Dr. Sierpinski. He was literally hopping from foot to foot as the mounts cantered to a halt in front of him.

Sierpinski rushed forward. "Chentlemen, chentlemen, ve have a wisitor who has been expecting you!" He enthusiastically pumped their arms before ushering them toward the institute's main gates.

As he herded the pair toward the entrance Holmes and Watson argued subvocally about his accent. When they stepped inside, Holmes was rolling his eyes. "All right, that's enough! Russian, Polish, German... Who cares?"

Watson inhaled deeply to prepare for another retort, then gasped as he saw who awaited their arrival. "Uh oh, it's Sir Arthur!" He glanced around wildly looking for a means of escape.

Holmes immediately grapsed the precariousness of their situation and charged forward in a preemptive attack. "Now see here, Doyle! What do you think you're doing here; interfering with our inves- tigations..."

The newcomer was having none of it. "Holmes, Watson, go wait in the coach." They scuttled off. "And as for you," he continued, you should be ashamed of yourself! What a travesty... I should sue you for defamation of fictional character. This is worse than that bloody Spielberg movie; who do you think you are, David Lynch? To blazes with the public domain; I'll sue..." As the great author warmed up to full rant the anonymous parodist snuck off the page mouthing a silent prayer of thanks that article verification had yet to be implemented...

To be discontinued...

Lift, haul, stone by stone It must be built, it shall be known Dawn will rise, black and cold To stand above, mortal foes Unwashed shall flock A taste forbidden For another, chaos and oblivion Go north forever, in time, to find Glory, blood, loot and rhyme!

The Raptors

The Sen Clan anouces their claim to Thornclay and the adjacent provinces. Please do not use resources in the area without checking with us first. Small traveling parties are welcome

John Sen [m6f]

Aric breathed a sigh of relief as he entered the gates of Aethelarn. Imperial City had been bustling with activity the past few weeks. It had been nearly impossible to get to sleep with the din made by the clank of chains as prisoners were dragged to the docks and siege engines were dragged out of the city gates. After graduation from Imperial U., Aric had gathered together a small band of eager lads and dashed across to Aethelarn, hurrying to avoid the thunderstorm to the north of the city. Once Beastmastery was learned, off to the wilderness!

"If at first you don't succeed ..."

Tony Baldacci Was: sb0 Varangian Freeholders Now: ch2 Novgorod

Kevin Davis Connery Was: wv9 Cymry Now: at4 Kote Shiva

Jim Morgan Was: tg3 Mistic Harbor Company Now: bh6 Black Rose

John Palphreyman <76150.1534@compuserve.com> Was: rj3 The Shadow League Now: of7 Dis Exapaton


This month's report from Kristian Armorcorps has been delayed by technical difficulties. We're still waiting for her ship to come in. Unless she's sharing an island with another group of unbelievably credulous voyagers, she should be back next month with her story of a life on the ocean waves.

Watch this space!

We of the Atalan League restate our claim to the small land of Atala as our domain. We intend no hostility towards our neighbors but humbly request that they respect our claims since we are completely utilizing the market capacity of Atala at this time. We also have armed units clearing out the wilderness and wish to avoid any conflicts over resources.

To those who have contacted us, we respond by saying that we do not currently wish to disclose our location since we feel we have little to gain by such a disclosure but we do welcome contact from those who may already know our location. At some point in the future, we may make our location more widely know.

Wurun Ravuk [x1y] The Atalan League

Gooooood Moooorrrnnnning Oooossssiiiicccccussss!

We're here, where are you?

Come out, come out, where ever you are.

Contact Dugrik [v2h], operators are standing by.

As a result of recent events, land claims to by26 are rescinded. Do not contact me about access to Gentlewind.

Kemal ibn Ibrahim [g5t]

Crystal's Bargain Shoppe is still accepting orders. Our excellent products include: - Winged Horses limited supply!! - Pikes less than 20gold/pike!! - Crossbows less than 20gold/crossbow!!

Quantity discounts!

Please note, our necromancer has had some problems controling the resident Mailer Daemon. This could have resulted in the loss of your mail to me. If you sent me any mail, and didn't recive a reply, please try again now that the Daemon is firmly under control.

Faction based in Imperial City seeks quotes from reputable merchant on the following items: Crossbows, Wood, Pikes, Flying Horses. Please reply directly to Serobyn [h8e]. Purchase time frame-Sunsear. All responses held in strict confidence.

Today we begin the trek into exile. So far the Ancient Order of Olympians have treated us honorably. They have even given each of us 2 pieces of souviner stone. Unfortunately we will not have room in our meager luggage for such luxories. We all prey that the nobles who have been taken prisoner will also be able to join us in our search for a new homeland.

Cotton Mather

Dying and Crying to learn Scrying for Spying!

And Sighing to be Buying Something for Flying...

Vogon Poetry Society

ATTENTION: all travelers near the Imperial City:

Due to the recent unpleasantness around Mtn. Olympus, We have been forced to close the borders of Atnos to all travelers, so as to avoid the problems of illegal immigration.

Anyone not already on the island is advised to stay off until further notice.

Pel [q1v], Countess of Atnos

*Hunger*, it thought, and moved through the thick growth of cattails lining the shallow channel. Its scales scraped the mud of the low bank as it settled in to watch the narrow game trail, where the path crossed the open water. *Wait* *Feed*

Some time later, it heard movement through the thick brush leading to the edge of the channel. *Many* it thought, *Loud* *Foolish* Images of four-legged, horned beasts moving carefully down to the water to drink ran through its mind, and it tensed, claws digging into the mud beneath it, as it prepared to slide into the shallow water, to lie concealed beneath the surface. Then one of the creatures stepped into the open, and started down to the water's edge.

The creature stood on two legs and carried a bundle of sticks in its forelimbs. It moved to the edge of the water and began to make many unfamiliar noises. Its scent came across the breeze, a mixture of different smells, some familiar, but others very much new.

*Hunt*, the beast thought, and began to slide towards the channel's rim. It stopped, as the brush midway between it and the new creature rustled, and a great cat stepped out. The cat moved down to the water and bent to lap from the stream. Behind it, a trio of wolves stepped from the shadows. More of the strange, two-legged creatures emerged from the forest and began to cross the stream.

The beast froze, confused. *Strange* *Bad*, it thought, and settled back into the mud to wait.

The gray-cloaked noble stopped at the top of the opposite bank and looked around, a puzzled look on his face. A second noble stepped away from the small group of crossbowmen watching the deep forest around them for signs of danger.

"An'thing?" the second man asked, rubbing the skull tattoo on his jaw absently with one knuckle.

The beastmaster shook his head. "I'm not sure. I thought I felt something watching us, but now I can't tell for certain."

The other noble looked up as the trees bridging the stream above them rustled and watched unconcerned as several huge arachnids passed above. "I doubt thet anythin' kin git close enough ta yer pets fer us ta need a' worry about." He lifted the rune inscribed spear he held. "An' ifen they do, I thin' we kin handle 'em."

"I'm more concerned about missing something important." The beastmaster gestured, and one of the wolves trotted over to him.

"I'm concern'd abou' findin' th' ship."

The beastmaster laughed and knelt next to the wolf. "And as soon as we get on the ship, you'll be complaining again about having to sit around while we travel. Does nothing make you happy?"

The other shrugged, watching as the last of their men crossed the stream. "When I fin' sumthin' thet does, I'll let ya know."

The beastmaster took the wolf's head in his hands and looked into its eyes, feeling the light touches of its mind. For a long moment he studied it, sensing the vague dis-ease it felt from some distant danger, but reading that it knew of nothing certain or close. Then he broke contact and stood. "Well, whatever it was, it doesn't seem like our problem this time."

"Good!" the other said, and waved for the crossbowmen to follow the others into the forest. "We kin git a few more miles in t'day." He started down the trail. A short moment later, the first noble followed.

Across the stream, the beast watched. *Hunger* *Wait* it thought. Other prey would come.

I'd like to get in touch with anyone else exploiting the Emperor's Forest east of IC. The Clan With No Name [py4]

A winded Shay Tollin was led into the dining hall of the Chateau. Duke Marat lounged at the head of the map-strewn table, conferring with his advisor Athelfrar. Several young pages scurried back and forth, retrieving this scroll or removing that map.

"Duke Marat, I have had a disturbing vision! I fear for my temple and my followers. I foresaw my temple overrun with vandals, and even Sarrail himself has left the area!"

"Ah, yes. Tollin, is it? Yes. Some sort of minor holding to the north? Yes. Yes. Good. I mean, bad, of course. Terrible vision. Well. Can't be helped, though. Army coming. You'll have to stay here, of course."

Athelfrar stood and solititously motioned to Shay. "Our good Duke means to say that you are welcome to enjoy the hospitality of the Chateau in your time of need. It may be some time before the Duke can attend to your holding, however. Our preliminary intelligence suggests that an army of Iron Nation nobles may be on the way to siege the castle. The Duke would be grateful if you and your men could help with the defense of the castle."

"Yes. Yes. Of course. Defense. Terrible, terrible."

Shay looked incredulously at the pair, eyeing one, then the other, before he bowed and turned around. As he left, he muttered under his breath, "I begin to see why Sarrail didn't show up here."

To verify some correct information:

> > Some few months ago, a fellow named Bastrestric ther Archymonaged led > > a faction that attacked and killed a bunch of random nobles. Common > > banditry. Bastrestric thought he was being smart by not doing any of > > the attacking himself, but he was quickly found out by some of his > > victims.


> > This Bastrestric ther Archymonaged fellow was spotted hiding in a > > castle, the Chateau Olympique. The owner of the castle said he had a > > treaty to defend Bastrestric ther Archymonaged, whether or not > > Bastrestric ther Archymonaged was a common bandit. Well, that's > > certainly throwing the gauntlet down.

True again.

Now to correct some erroneous information:

> Bastrestric was involved in some skirmishes with a couple of other > factions way back during the first few turns of the game; I seem ^^^^^^ > to remember most of the attacks being made by the other factions ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ > though. ^^^^^^^^

Since I've the utmost respect for the leader of faction Amber, I'll assume this statement is due to their being ignorant of the facts rather than culpability.

Ergonal [j7t], a member noble of Servants of the Art [qy6] attacked 4 nobles in [by23] on turn 2. Fortunately his reign of terror was short lived. :) The 4th noble he attacked turned out to be one of his AOO allies, and the mutual defend orders between this noble and one other defeated Ergonal.

Talia [z6p], Artur [n2v] & Terminus [t6x] of The Skaithian Consortium [bh0], joined by Decessim [w2f] of Servants of the Art; undertook an unprovoked attack against myself and companions in [by24] turn 3. We weren't as fortunate as Huon Brook & Capt. Bogomil though; one of our number died of wounds received and another was taken prisoner. I myself was taken prisoner when attacked by a horde of rats immediately after their assault on us. Fortunately I proved unpalatable and they released me 2 months later. :)

> But by Atnerks' brass balls, does it bloody matter one way or the other??? > It is not remotely sensible or reasonable to make decisions affecting the > future of the entire continent on the basis of a handful of minor > skirmishes between two or three factions that happened a dozen turns ago!

Yes it matters to the injured parties, and I think it matters to everyone... in so far as they may wish to keep a sharp eye out when they spot nobles from the bandit factions in a province with them.

But I have to agree that it would be senseless to base global decisions on a few facts of provincial concern only.

> I agree with this guy (who is he? Ah, yet another lily-livered coward who > hasn't the guts to sign his name to his article. No surprises there :)) > > Amber [s0s]

Taliesin the Merlin, Companions of Caerleon [oz0]

... not afraid to sign his name since he's already on the AOO sh*t-list. :)

> We finally make it to the plains. Look there, a grassy field rather like a > pasture. Does anyone know what a grassy field is good for, or an enchanted > forest, for that matter?

Pastures and Grassy Fields are the same as a plain. You can CATCH horses in them. Enchanted Forest though... duhhhh.

> Can anyone confirm the reports that either Cyclops or Centaurs require > special weapons to attack? Any information gladly accepted,

To the best of my knowledge, a special item is only required if the monster in the sublocation holds a powerful artifact in it's possession.

The waves are slamming against the hull. We're making good speed, but the reason why we're heading this way is beginning to irritate me. Just as we uncover virgin lands to explore, far from the politics of the Imperial city and the brooding MAFOC presence nearby, we're called upon to become a taxi service. The message that arrived by carrier pigeon that arrived was quite insistent, we have no choice but to come back and pick our colleagues up from the swamp they found themselves mired in. Well, one advantage of picking them up would be the protection afforded by the increased number of nobles. It sounded as if our faction has managed to recruit large numbers of new followers. And, of course, there was always the possibility of encountering other targets of opportunity. That, at least, could be interesting.

Oleg the Loudmouth's (Free!) Lore Archive still exists!

The long promised tomes of new knowledge are now available! The new tomes are: lore.new, which is all lore found in this world, and lore.diff, which gives the differences between the lore of this world and the lore of the alpha-test world. As usual, no fee is collected, nor will none be paid for any contributions. Do a good deed today and contribute: Lore should be free!

As usual, these tomes may be obtained by contacting me directly, or from your favorite archive.

-- Oleg the Loudmouth [b2q]

COASTAL WARNINGS: it's easy to become trapped in strange coastal configurations. Do yourself a favor and head straight to your destination! You can explore coasts later at your leisure.

advice from a sailor

The Imperial Shipwrights are open for business. We will build galleys or roundships on contract. Contact Bligh [s0u] if you're interested.

Full-service priest now available. Resurrections, last rites, visions of objects or places: yours for a modest price. Results guaranteed first time. If you have a need, email w4t@g1.pbm.com and we'll try to fix you up in our fully-equipped temple.


In the aftermath of the AOO/IN battle at Mount Olympus, the Cohorts of Colossus [vo4] have assumed stewardship of the lands in the Newleaf and Gentlewind area. Sheriff Pelenth of Drassa [f3i] is in charge of peacekeeping in the area, and has imposed martial law until tensions have subsided.

This proclamation applies to the following provinces, as well as all sublocations in these provinces: bx25, bx26, bx27, by25, by26, by27, and bz27. Persons seen travelling in this area have been notified of the imposition of martial law, and all new travellers wishing to enter these lands should notify Pelenth before entering. Until tensions in the region have subsided, unauthorized travel through these lands will be regarded as a hostile act, and may be dealt with harshly.

Travellers notifying Pelenth and obtaining travel permission will not be molested, and will be protected by the Sheriff and his forces. It is our sincere wish that peace is restored to the area soon, and that the martial law will be lifted in a few short months.

Sheriff Pelenth of Drassa [f3i]

Clan Shado: The castle construction proceeds as projected. The stoneworkers report that they will have quarried the required amounts before the month is out, and the masons claim that if deliveries do not slack off, they will be done in a few short months. Soon the Clan will take up its birthright!

The scouts have been capturing large numbers of animals, and report that the countryside is pristine and untrammeled by noble feet. Their recruiting proceeds well, and they claim to be ready to garrison the castle properly on its completion. - Megan Shado [j4m]

DEAR MIYUKI, An irregular feature of the Olympia Times:

>Dear Miyuki, > >I can't seem to recruit any peasants or earn any gold in Imperial City. >What should I do? > >Not Going Anywhere

Dear "Not Going Anywhere",

Go somehwere.


>Dear Miyuki, > >I lost most of my forces in a recent large battle. What should I do? > >Stuck in Ironic Situation

Dear "Stuck in Ironic Situation",

Bring more troops next time.


>Dear Miyuki, > >My ship got captured by pirates. What should I do? > >Unpleasantly Surprised

Dear "Unpleasantly Surprised",

Bring more troops next time.


>Dear Miyuki, > >No one trusts me or my allies. What should I do? > >Ancient and Disorderly

Dear "Ancient and Disorderly",

Take up innkeeping on Atnos.


>Dear Miyuki, > >I was tricked! A group of people stranded me on a desert island! >What do I do? > >Gilligan

Dear "Gilligan",

Don't talk to strangers.


>Dear Miyuki, > >No one sends mail to us about where they are. What are we doing wrong? > >Puzzled Pilgrims

Dear "Puzzled Pilgrims",

Offer large amounts of gold.


The Imperial City Logging Corporation is open for business. Contact mmwang@mv.us.adobe.com if you wish to place an order for wood or yew.

From the Captain of the Tai Lung,

Dull sailing. Only one island was sighted this month, [af1h] at br41, with 4 Cyclops. Has anyone found any Cyclops that do _not_ require a special item to defeat? As always, we are interested in exchanging information with other seafarers.

Announcing formation of the Aethelarn & Pirn Railway Company. Shares opening at 37 on the OSDAQ exchange. Now taking reservations for passengers and freight on the first leg of our line, from Aethelarn to Imperial City. Contact Cornelius [r3c].