Re: How to get started in PBeM

Greg Lindahl (gl8f@fermi.clas.Virginia.EDU)
Thu, 27 Jul 1995 17:33:37 GMT

In article <1995Jul25.154746.5633@inet.d48.lilly.com>,
Bob Sikorski <sikorski@lilly.com> wrote:

>I am interested in setting up a server to automate a PBeM game. I am
>very familiar with Windows NT. Any thoughts, ideas, or especially
>tips on hardware/connectivity/application programming needs that I
>should be aware of?? Should I require FTP and/or Web access, or is
>this too limiting? What have most people programmed their moderator's
>in? Any great utilities to receive and scan e-mail? Any help or
>pointers will be greatly appreciated!

At the moment, most all PBeM games don't require FTP or Web access,
although a few use the Web to make playing easier for some players.
Most people have rolled their own email utilities; I think procmail
and perl are both pretty popular for this purpose, but I'm sure Rich
Skrenta wrote his in C or Pascal or worse. There are a bunch of
details that probably wouldn't be in whatever you're using; I have no
idea how you'd do mail on Windows NT.

-- greg