Re: Exits and exit stacking

Greg Lindahl (gl8f@fermi.clas.Virginia.EDU)
Thu, 17 Sep 92 14:03:20 -0400

On Sep 15, 16:08, Rich Skrenta wrote:

> Did anyone prefer exits labelled with long route numbers, instead of
> exits keyed only by direction?

Yes. Not only does it allow multiple exits in the same direction (i.e,
toll road, wildnerness, and river), but it allows you to have "secret
exits" with no direction attached, that can only be found through
exploration. All of these are positive features that would add to the
game if provided.

I believe that stacking with SOME sorts of exits makes sense, but not
all, i.e. narrow exits. It's not obvious to me that you should be able
to stop everyone from moving through Summerbridge, given a thousand
twisty paths through the marshes. But, this is a highly-debated point.
I don't think that anyone would oppose the first paragraph.