Re: WORK (fwd)

Rich Skrenta (skrenta@blekko.rt.com)
Tue, 21 Jul 92 20:54:21 EDT

Forwarded message:
From: sjc@cs.purdue.edu (Steve Chapin)
To: skrenta@blekko.rt.com (Rich Skrenta)
Subject: Re: WORK
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 92 18:22:08 EST
Sender: sjc@cs.purdue.edu

>> How about tieing work to maintenance cost, but making the return around 10%.
>> Then units could always support themselves, but would have to be creative
>> to make enough money to grow.

That's exactly what I had in mind. Enough to be a subsitence wage,
and to grow ever so slightly, but not enough to make it be the main
income for your faction. Yes, this is a retraction of my earlier
thoughts on the subject, wherein I thought making a unit spend 1/2 to
3/5 of its time working was enough.

Of course, this penalizes the pure warlords, who won't have any horse
traders or construction workers in their factions. How can we make
combat pay? Answer: they have to make it pay themselves, e.g. hiring
themselves out as hit-men, killing monsters for profit, etc.

sc

--

--
Rich Skrenta <skrenta@rt.com>  N2QAV