Re: Ultimate Goals in Olympia

Greg Lindahl (gl8f@fermi.clas.Virginia.EDU)
Mon, 23 Jan 1995 00:36:25 GMT

In article <3fuhbf$e82@news.aero.org>,
Scott Turner <srt@sun-dimas.aero.org> wrote:

>How does this address the power problem? I don't see players
>financing ravaging armies with castle income (it being problematic to
>ship large amounts of money between a distant army and a castle). If
>castles are used to finance large defensive armies, well, that seems
>to help the power problem. I also haven't seen anyone complaining
>that castles generate too much income.

Some of us do our complaining in private ;-)

I think that the income from a castle is too large, relative to income
from other sources, relative to starting cash, and relative to the
time needed to build a defensive or offensive army that one can
maintain with that kind of income. I also believe that the jump in
income from making provinces civilized is too large.

You're right that this doesn't directly address the power problem --
it's only a small change. Changes like "no more capturing men from
defeated nobles" are big changes which address the power problem.

-- greg, not Oleg