Re: GIVE permission system

Dan Corrin (dan@ims.uwindsor.ca)
Fri, 7 Oct 94 14:13:05 EDT

> Rich Skrenta writes:
> > Another approach, which avoids the certain extra players errors which
> > will be generated by another ADMIT-like system, and covers cases which
> > RECEIVE still leaves exposed, such as what to do about heavy booty
> > in combat, is to provide an option to automatically drop items if
> > you're overburdened, or a command which would drop enough items to
> > allow a certain mode of movement.
> >
> > AUTODROP 0/1 (which unfortunately suggests that I make FLY
> > implicit with MOVE, and provide WALK and RIDE)
> >
> > UNENCUMBER <walk|ride|fly> [preferences]
> >

> I think that this is likely to be a problem unless you can specify
> what you want to keep and what you don't. But that can get to be a
> real pain. I favor a

Let's take a look at what is happening here. You are moving across
the plains, and a salesman comes up to you and says, "Have I got
a deal for you, 50 genuine granite blocks of stone for only a copper!"
and being the penny-pinching types, can't pass up that good a deal.

If you are concerned with people writing 100's of drop orders before
each move, then provide them with macros. e.g.
DROP GOODS
will drop everything but gold, people, animals, and unique things
such as magic. If you have categories for these things (maybe add
one for weapons), then there would only be a couple of lines for those
who are planning on using this strategy.

-Dan