Re: Two long-term problems

Ed Bailey (bailey@hagar.ph.utexas.edu)
Wed, 28 Sep 1994 12:05:14 -0500

Rich writes:
> There are potentially two serious threats to the long-term stability of
> Olympia G1 that I see.
> o Noble/NP growth
> o Uncapped civ levels

> The 1-every-8 policy was chosen before I implemented resurrection.
> Can someone suggest a reasonable tapering policy for additional NP's?

8, 8, 12, 12, 16, ... will give someone 25 NPs after 2-1/2 years of real time.
That will delay the problem for another year or two of real time. I don't
like this much, though, because it makes it too difficult for a faction to
rebuild after losing several oathed nobles.

As another option: a faction with 20 NPs does not get additional NPs.

Or a third option. A faction with 20 active NPs cannot issue FORM.
A faction could save these NPs, but not allow them to be active. That
way a faction could rebuild after being decimated by an attack, but could
not have arbitrarily large numbers of nobles. [Well, not without SWEAR,
at least.]

> This should be done in conjunction with giving new players who join at
> this point some additional gold and NP's to help them compete better with
> the oldsters. Perhaps also some extra peasants.

*Something* will need to be (arguably already does need to be) done.
Starting a new Safe Haven city; extra gold, NPs, claim items; one-way
gates to new lands. All are good suggestions.

> Regarding uncapped civ levels, the simplest solution would be to henceforth
> limit construction to one type of building per province, with the exception
> of towers, which could have a maximum of six. This would have no effect
> on construction already begun or completed.
> An alternative is to simply cap civ levels at a maximum of 16 or 32.

I think a civ-level cap is a better suggestion -- though I would recommend
8 or 12. Also, I would recommend putting a fairly low cap on "secondary"
civ-levels, probably letting contributed civ-levels max out at 3.

Having structures require periodic maintainence of stone/wood will help
delay the onset of civ-related problems.

Ed Bailey

--
Ed Bailey                | Voice: (512) 471-4198   Fax: (512) 471-6715
Inst. for Fusion Studies | Internet: bailey@{hagar,ziggy}.ph.utexas.edu,