Diagonal Movement

David desJardins (desj@ccr-p.ida.org)
Mon, 26 Sep 94 21:14:19 EDT

> From: bwrgnft@blsouth.bss.com
> Date: Mon, 26 Sep 94 20:13:59 EDT
>
> Diagonal movement makes sense. It's more intuitive. If you want to reduce
> travel speed, there are other ways to do that.

I'm somewhat agnostic on diagonal movement---I'm not strongly opposed to
it, although I think it clearly can't be retrofitted to the existing
game---but I definitely disagree that it makes sense or is more
intuitive. It is much less intuitive in that, for example, two units
can cross paths without ever passing through the same location. The
*only* thing that it gains is that game distance is more closely
proportional to Euclidean distance. (Hexes would be an even better way
to do that, with less weirdness, of course.)

David desJardins