Re: Pathological combat examples

Tim Whalen (whalen@stromboli.usc.edu)
Thu, 22 Sep 1994 11:07:51 -0700

Ed writes:

> P.S. Yes, I know that I originally argued in favor of the 4-in-1 rule,
> but I've changed my mind now that I've seen the numbers. I do like
> the sqrt suggestion. Has anyone run sample combat suite using that
> system?

Here's an integer math proposal to tighten up sqrt(n). Just add another
decimal place. If n < 100 then compute sqrt(n*100). If n > 100 compute
10 * sqrt(n). The fastest method would be to have a lookup table for the
first 100 or so. Increase or do away with my somewhat arbitrary break-
point at 100 if speed is not important. I'm sure we can dig up a fast
integer sqrt routine from Knuth or someone. Isn't Olympia run on a Cray-11
or something, anyhow? If not, where's our two-fifty going?!? ;>)

Tim