Re: Death Overhaul'd

RCOMBER@delphi.com
Thu, 15 Sep 1994 10:04:55 -0400 (EDT)

> Rich Comber <RCOMBER@delphi.com> writes:
> > if resurrection requires the body, so should LR. Think about it.
> > How could anyone perform last rites without the body. I know "it's
> > magical", but it just doesn't make any sense.

Bron replies:

> Sure it makes sense. In resurrection, you are trying to return
> a persons spirit to their body, and reanimate the body. Clearly
> this requires both a body and a spirit, and it is not unreasonable
> to say that the body must in fact be physically present. Last
> Rites on the other hand commends a spirit to the afterlife, putting
> it beyond the reach of mortals. Clearly this requires a spirit,
> but there does not to my mind seem to be any need for the body
> (since you are not putting the spirit back into the body, but rather
> are "sending it on"). It is not unreasonable to say that the
> spirit will probably come to whoever is performing the Last Rites,
> in their name, where ever they may be, and even that the lieklyhood
> that the spirit will come is increased if you invoke their True Name.
>
> --
> Bron Campbell Nelson bron@sgi.com or possibly uunet!sgi.com!bron
> These statements are my own, not those of Silicon Graphics.

Bron:

Part of last rights should be putting the body into the ground. (giving a
decent burial) Last rites are performed on the BODY not the spirit. So
that the BODY can't be used as undead or resurrected. The spirit is
already gone. The spell affects the flesh so that it can no longer be
used to contain any life (or unlife) force. That's why the body should
be required.

- Rich