Re: Roads again

Patrick McLaughlin (pmcl@crash.cts.com)
Wed, 7 Sep 1994 17:21:31 -700 (PDT)

The idea sounds solid... though I think the cost/level is a shade high
(and I'm one of the folks yelling that roads are supposed to be a lot of
work!). Particularly with a level going away each year.

There are only 8*30 work days in a Oly year. If a road needs 20,000
labor for annual maintenance, that is 83.3 laborers working on it nonstop
to keep it up--167 gold in upkeep costs per month, plus stone. I'd
hazard that maintenance (versus rebuilding it!) would be cheaper, maybe
only 1/3 as much. But the idea of having to pay through the nose to
build a smooth, easy route through the mountains, that is appealing.