Re: Olympia development too slow

John Sloan (johns@unipalm.co.uk)
Wed, 06 Apr 94 08:28:01 BST

skrenta@shadow.com wrote :

>John Sloan writes:
>> I don't think that the rate at which you can learn skills is all that bad
>> or that the time taken to raise and train an army is excessive [though I
>> wouldn't object to being able to recruit more than one peasant/day] It
>> does take a long time to get from A to B though, and thats something you
>> could easily tinker with and make shorter. Anything up to cutting travel
>> times in half would be reasonable. Something to consider, at least.
>
>Hmmm. The movement model already has various shortcuts in it:
>
> o Horses halve the time to travel over land

But since the introduction of monsters in wilderness areas, the lone explorer
on his horse has become impractical. The number of horses needed to provide
mounted expeditions of the required size greatly reduces the rate at which
exploration parties can be equipped.

> o Gatecraft allows instant teleportation between points

Again only for the lone traveller, which is dangerous.

> o Travel by ship is faster, if there is a water route

Add in time to get to the ship, get on it, transport to where you want to be
and get off it - more organisation required, and only really useful for coastal
journeys. Also, you cannot recruit at sea.

> o Other secret ways the player can discover (hidden routes,
> other teleportation spells, and Hades)
>
>Does anyone else feel that movement takes too long? Is this really
>what makes Olympia progress slowly?

>Is the world too big?

It is for the number of players playing at the moment.

>--
>Rich Skrenta <skrenta@shadow.com>

John.
Faction Curumo