westdance: Stanford Historic Dance Week

Cin cinbarnes at gmail.com
Wed May 26 13:51:59 PDT 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Crystal A. Larsen <xtalrock at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Looks like whoever wrote this class title has mixed up the "16th century" with the "1600's".

Entirely possible it's a literal translation from french or german.
Both identify the century in this style, just like Italian does with
"Quatrocento" meaning 1400s.

> folia var doesn't get many hits. This website (http://www.folias.nl/html5m.html) says the tune was written by Manuel Machado (c.1590-1646). Looks like it's a type of music rather than a dance, but who knows?

I assumed it was intended as "folio var" or variations in the various
folio, manuscripts & other sources.

Thanks for the video link to the Spanish Baroque performers.  Now,
after some giggling, I have an idea what I'm in for.
--cin