westdance: Shepherds' Holiday

Lee Marshall lee_marshall at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 24 23:52:10 PDT 2009

At the last Crosston dance practice we discussed Shepherds' Holiday.
The B part of the music is problematic because it's seven measures long.
    This Hendricks fellow has a setting whose B part is 8 measures long.
  The last few measures seem somewhat different to what I remember as well.

http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/Playford_new/sheph_2.pdf

We were working with a faded orange book that had a modern transcription
of the music.  I believe that transcription is wrong.  Greg has the
original on his site

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/playford_1651/108small.html

The piece clearly ends in a couple of long notes that are missing from
the version we were relying on.

The key signature looks like one-flat in the original.  I hesitate to
call that F.  I'd call it G-dorian but not with any confidence.  Anyway,
Hendricks' transcription has the notation "Originally a step lower".
But it has no sharps or flats.  I would have expected an F-sharp.

Hendricks does away with the run of 16th notes that appears in the
transcription we were using.  Greg's copy is unclear enough that I can't
tell in some places whether there are tails or not.  And there's one big
splotch that looks more to me like the x-like double-sharp symbol that
anything else--but that can't be right.

Until we sort it out more thoroughly I would suggest we add a measure
with a dotted quarter G and an undotted quarter G on the end of the B part.