westdance: dance goals for 2009 and the Year of the Ox

Crystal A. Larsen xtalrock at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 29 15:02:17 PST 2009

Howdy ya'll,

Before we get sucked into planning the Arts Fete and the next Dance Ball, let's think about what (if anything) we'd like to do this year.

One thing I'd like to do, is start reemphasizing some of the no-partner dances such as Bransle Charlotte (http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/dance/Bransle_Charlotte.html) or Bransel Pinagay (http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/dance/Bransle_Pinagay.html).

If you'd like to look at some of the English Country dances we don't do, please check out Gregory's Facsimile of John Playford's 1651
The English Dancing Master http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/playford_1651/
Typically the SCA only does the earlier style of dances from Playford, these are the dances for certain numbers, rather than the for "as many as will" dances.

There's a number of 15th century dances we don't do written up in the modern book Joy and Jealousy:
http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~praetzel/Joy-J-book/

And there's a number of dances we used to do, but we haven't done in a while. If there's an old favorite you'd like revived, please speak up.

regards,