westdance: Thoughts on 15c Italian for KWDS?

Matthew Larsen matt1.larsen at gmail.com
Wed May 9 09:46:42 PDT 2007

On 5/8/07, Renee <goddess at oort.com> wrote:
> > > Yes...  but while we have more current descriptions of pivas and
> > > saltarellos than of estampi steps, it's not like we have descriptions
> > > that give the kind of detail that you get for galliard steps in the
> > > later sources.
> >
> > Why do you think that the saltarello *step* in the improvised
> > saltarello is anything other than the saltarello step? That's what the
> > sources pretty plainly would lead you to conclude.
> >
> > It's the pattern you make on the floor that we don't know, in either
> > case. In the galliard <snip>
>
> Given the saltarello, given the exuberant nature of young people, and given
> the spontaneous variations emergent in *our* large dances, I think the
> discussion might turn towards whether only a few of the most coordinated
> danced improvisations, while most pursued a more staid course across the
> floor,

I think this is a defensible argument, though I'd hope that the
Wednesday crowd at least is trying to get to the level that would be
more like the "most coordinated" group.

> or whether it was the zany free-for-all we sometimes see.

Yeah...  maybe something we should focus on is understanding the
patterns they used well enough that when we're doing our own
improvisation during something like the beginning section of Amoroso,
or Pitite Reinse, we can improvise that pattern with some knowledge of
what they did, rather than just going wherever we feel like.  That way
we'd be doing less of that zany free-for-all.

Greg, do you have some information on tap that we could consider
tonight?  This could be interesting! :-)

Geoffrey