westdance: Thoughts on 15c Italian for KWDS?

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Tue May 8 20:06:42 PDT 2007

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 05:50:17PM -0700, Matthew Larsen wrote:

> I'm not sure I would class the 15th c. information as a weath of
> evidence in comparison to the "bit more" evidence for galliard
> variations.  If you just counted the number of words in the various
> descriptions, I think the galliard information will outstrip the 15th
> c. information by several orders of magnitude.  Not sure that's a good
> measure, but...

The galliard has a ton of info on different steps, and little about
how you string them together, or how you move around the floor. Given
the two gaping holes in the info, I wouldn't count it as several
orders of magnitude more information.

> I'm not convinced yet that the level of information in the 15th
> c. sources is what I would call reasonably good.

There are a ton of new primary and secondary sources available about
15c Italian dancing. You own some of them, but as our offline
discussion of the volta del gioioso showed, it takes some study to be
familiar with them. You probably reall this is one of my pet peeves
;-)

-- Gregory