westdance: Thoughts on 15c Italian for KWDS?

Matthew Larsen matt1.larsen at gmail.com
Tue May 8 15:33:10 PDT 2007

On 5/8/07, Crystal A. Larsen <xtalrock at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Matthew Larsen <matt1.larsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Yeah...  time for more galliard practice.  We've got to
> > get to the point where
> > what we can work on is not some specific step, but
> > rather how you string them
> > together.  But you have to have everyone
> > doing at least two steps
> > to get to that...  I need to think more on how
> > to teach that.  Hmmm...
>
> I can imagine how you'd teach it just like teaching swing or
> waltz variations. Do four of these standard galidards, then four
> of the moving ones, then four of the sideways ones, then four
> more of the moving ones, and four of the bell ones. Repeat until
> the music runs out.
> Then make people do the pattern in pairs, then singles.

Sorry, I was thinking aloud (thinking online?) and wasn't very
clear...  I'm wondering if you can give people a start on the
improvisation part _before_ they can even do two different steps.

Hmmm...  Maybe a second step that's familiar, like doing a contenenza
in galliard time.  Changing back and forth between that and another
step might not be too hard, and would get people started with the
improve part of things.  Hmmm...

Geoffrey