westdance: Thoughts on 15c Italian for KWDS?

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Tue May 8 12:14:42 PDT 2007

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 10:51:27AM -0700, Matthew Larsen wrote:

> I don't see it as any different than the 14th c.
> estampies and so on.

One is extrapolating a couple of years, the other is extrapolating
100+ years. That makes them very different. For an improvised
saltarello and piva, we can be pretty sure that the steps are the same
as the ones a couple of years later. For estampies, we have no clue
beyond iconography.

You are correct that we don't have much of a clue of the kinds of
patterns people make, but we don't know that for the improvised
galliard, either.  Or the improvised Almain, Pavane, or Coranto. We
only know the steps and a vague philosophy.

The great thing about the improvised piva and saltarello is that
they're accessible to non-dancers. If we want to get the mass public
dancing without having gone to class, we need a good selection of
arrows in our quivers.

-- Gregory