westdance: Thoughts on 15c Italian for KWDS?

Cin cinbarnes at gmail.com
Tue May 8 12:00:32 PDT 2007

On 5/8/07, Matthew Larsen <matt1.larsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/8/07, Cin <cinbarnes at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 5/7/07, Greg Lindahl <lindahl at pbm.com> wrote:
> > > ...The improvised piva or saltarello is easy to teach, and
> > ... Veronique Daniels is into non-choreographed
> > partnered  steps in sauterello & even bazzadanza time.
> ... I don't think we (or at least I) have
> anything against non-choreographed dances.

That was not my claim. My claim was that it was a hard sell as the
Crosston ball group (the larger group than Wens nite regulars) finds
the concept odd. Matt, Crystal, Kat & Hugh & Merrin & Carey & all the
others who have a toe in the 19th & early 20th c dance community are
not the ones that were hard to sell.

>My issue with unchoroegrahped salterello, pas de brabant, piva, etc is
>that I don't see any source that gives enough detail to have any sense
>of confidence that we're doing anything that is remotely like what
>they were doing.

A fair point, but tell me, when was the last time you wrote about a
non-choreographed partnered dance of *any* style... say one of those
Argentine tangos or a bit of Lindy Hop?
I can say I never have wrtten about a particlular dance except to say
"wow that really worked" without specifying either the *what* that
worked much less the *how* and *why* of the thing that worked. Without
those details (and no video), you'd have no idea what
non-choreographed partnered dance in the 21st century looked like much
less felt like from inside the partnership.

Fun topic! Yay for bringing this up!
--cin
Cynthia Barnes
CinBarnes at gmail.com