westdance: Thoughts on 15c Italian for KWDS?

Matthew Larsen matt1.larsen at gmail.com
Tue May 8 10:51:27 PDT 2007

On 5/8/07, Cin <cinbarnes at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/7/07, Greg Lindahl <lindahl at pbm.com> wrote:
> > BTW, elsewhere the 5 most popular 15c Italian dances are: Amoroso,
> > Anello, Gelosia, Petit Riense, and Rostiboli. And the ones Judith is
> > hoping to make more popular are improvised pive and saltarelli, and
> > Chirintana. The improvised piva or saltarello is easy to teach, and
> > fun to dance if you have energetic music.
>
> She's not the only one.  Veronique Daniels is into non-choreographed
> partnered  steps in sauterello & even bazzadanza time.  I tried to
> sell this at a Crosston Ball session... went over like a lead balloon.
>  This group is sooooo programmed toward choreography.  Sad, really.
> People get it in their minds that choreo is the One True Way.  T'isnt!

Well...  I beg to differ.  I don't think we (or at least I) have
anything against non-choreographed dances.  After all, we're pushing
galliards, and we spend at least a little time talking about
variations one can throw in during bransles, and so on.

My issue with unchoroegrahped salterello, pas de brabant, piva, etc is
that I don't see any source that gives enough detail to have any sense
of confidence that we're doing anything that is remotely like what
they were doing.  I don't see it as any different than the 14th c.
estampies and so on.  We know they were doing them, we even have some
music we can be fairly confident of.  But we don't have anything in
the way of detailed instructions about what to do.

Just my 2 cents... :-)

Geoffrey