pennsicdance: Absolute Beginner

David Learmonth david.a.learmonth at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 21:59:42 PDT 2012

Agreed.  Mimed bransles are good.  Fairly simple, and can be fun / silly /
can have a bit of a story or some related proposed history.  :)

I think that anything is fair game for those classes.  Sometimes there may
have been some scheduling regarding various areas for absolute beginner
(though I think that was actually for the "focused beginner" category).
 But either way, people attending probably don't mind the practice, and
odds are you won't be fully repeating someone else's class, that they've
also attended.

And hey, if you find yourself with extra time, you can always throw in one
more dance.  Or just practice the ones you have.

Absolute beginner is good for just giving some of the basic concepts, and
having people have fun.  Learning singles and doubles, and getting a feel
for the music  (though that comes over time, and I don't think everyone
gets as much feel for it the first time they are dancing).  But even Arbeau
suggests singing the steps in your head (or out loud as we are teaching
them I'm sure is good too), in particular for some of the fancier bransles,
but can work for mimed as well.

The only other thing I can say is that it is much more about Having Fun,
than it is about getting it perfect.  I think if they are having fun, that
should help build their confidence.  (Hey, it took me Years to get to where
I'm at, and I still have much more I want to learn and improve upon)

Ditto.  If you'd like ringers to join in, don't be afraid to let a few of
us know if we're around before your class.  Or even during your class.

Darius