pennsicdance: Any dance classes for the youth at Pennsic this year?

Rebecca Friedman rebeccaanne3 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 12:38:36 PDT 2012

So, longer reply later, but while I can -

I share my father's concern about segregating classes - not that I
don't think having a children-focused class to make it clear to kids
that they were welcome and serve as an introduction would be a bad
thing, but that setting up "children's classes" to some extent defines
all others as "adult classes", whereas one of the things I personally
have always loved about dancing (both at Pennsic and at home) is that
it is one of the few activities in which children and adults can take
equal part (not all children, but the vast majority of the children I
have seen dancing) and which welcomes children as people in their own
right.

I realize I may be biased, having been a dancing child myself, and
having likely had more opportunity to join adult dance classes than
many might (being a dance musician's daughter helps). But I do think
it's something to be aware of - that we don't, in our attempts to
include the children, end up excluding them into their own little
nook/implying they can't take part in the rest of what we do. I know
as a child, seeing a few classes marked "for children", I would have
gotten the impression that the rest weren't. My other concern would be
"teaching down" - there are lots of easy and fun dances among our
normal repertoire, such as Petit Vriens, lots of the pantomime
bransles (Horses' and Washerwoman's come to mind), Rufty Tufty and
Heartsease... any of which I would think would be fine.

In which light, if it is practical, I would be happy to volunteer to
teach such a class. I was planning to teach my three Italian classes,
so I think that means I'm capped at one more, but I could teach
selections from either 15th c. Italian, bransles, or English Country -
I'm a bit worried Inns of Court would be potentially boring (not Black
Alman, but all the rest), and 16th century Italian has a lot of
footwork, but for the first three I can think of several dances each
that would work. Which would people prefer? Would that be helpful?

I'd be disinclined to say 10 and over; I would have guessed the little
girl who came to my Graca class last year was under 10, maybe
significantly under, and she was learning quite well (though I could
be wrong; it was a year ago, and naturally, I didn't ask). What we'd
be teaching would be much simpler than Graca - though, again. The
examples I am observing may be exceptional; after all, they are kids
who choose to come to adult dance classes.

I would certainly want to welcome parents/older siblings/etc to join
in. I myself don't have the SCA background check, but assuming I can
talk my mother into playing for my classes again this year, that would
be one unrelated adult - unrelated to whomever had the background
check, that is. Hopefully parents would provide another. I could also
be a ringer (or dance musician. Or either as needed) to help someone
else.

Sorry for the hasty note - hopefully it makes sense!

Rebecca bint Cariadoc