pennsicdance: Any dance classes for the youth at Pennsic this year?

Krege, Barbara B KREGE at aps.edu
Mon Apr 16 17:55:57 PDT 2012

Darius, I love you!  I am willing to help with all of this, except run the Ball.

But I need to know times, so that I can schedule my other commitments around the dance ones and choir ones.

I know that much of your dance schedule and thus the dance pavilion is probably booked already.

That is why I wanted to see if some of the dance instructors would be able to teach the children, and if so, when.

I taught european dance for 12 years in my barony and I always welcome the children.

I found that children ages 7 and up, do great in european dance classes.

I think some of the round dances are good for even the younger children.

I have had 22 children dance in an A&S competiton at Estrella War a few years ago, with a dance they learned a couple of days before-Ballo del Fiore.

So I never underestimate what the children are capable of learning.

The sooner you have some definite times for classes and maybe an afternoon ball, the sooner I can spread the word amongst those who might also teach youth classes, so that we don't have other youth classes at the same time as the dance classes, the choir classes or a Ball for the youth.

As soon as I know more, I will let the dance list know.

As for a ball, I would suggest somewhere around ages 10 and up.  Maybe even 9.  Children are in the 5th grade by age 10 and are already interested in boy and girl friends.  As for formality, you could "suggest" they dress up.  I would suggest around 6-8pm for a Ball for the youth.

Let me know how I can help.

Below is a tentative schedule of other children's performance activities--the children's theater group "Pennsic Youth Players" and the youth choir--and of other activities for children, youth and teens (based on previous year's times--I don't have the schedule yet for this year for some of this, but will update you as soon as I get a finalized schedule.)

You will need one person with a SCA Background check present at each of the youth dance classes and the ball.

I can be that person for you, if I don't have other conflicts.

If I do have conflicts, I can find the individuals that have the required current SCA Background Check (most if not all youth officers, who reside in the USA, should have this SCA Background Check).

You will need also two unrelated adults, but with all the dancers, dance instructors, and parents, that requirement is easily met.

I am committed to the SCA BoD meeting (don't know when that will be) and to the KWC (Known World Choir), so I included it in the schedule below for the children, youth and teens.

I am also going to copy this to the Known World Choir list, in case there are parents, who sing and who dance, or who have children that would be interested in the youth european dance classes, and who might be willing to help.

If there are, please contact Darius at david.a.learmonth at gmail.com<mailto:david.a.learmonth at gmail.com>

Thank you Darius!

Barbara Krege

(THL Jayne Barber, Outlands)

Cc:  Known World Choir

KWC (Known World Choir) and youth schedules (Youth Choir is correct, other is based on previous years)
If you want the young guys, you might want to avoid Youth Combat each day, which I think last year was 8-10:30am and 3-5pm.

Thursday, August 2-KWC 3-5pm

Friday, August 3- Pennsic Youth Players: 9-10am, 10-11am and 5:30-6:30pm with Lady Cecily.
            KWC 3-5pm

Saturday, August 4- Pennsic Youth Players: 9-10am, 10-11am and 5:30-6:30pm with Lady Cecily.
            Youth Choir 1-2pm
            Afternoon – children going fishing
            KWC  3-5pm

Sunday, August 5- Pennsic Youth Players: 9-10am, 10-11am and 5:30-6:30pm with Lady Cecily.
            Youth Choir  1-2pm
            KWC  3-5pm
            Opening Court

Monday, August 6- Pennsic Youth Players: 9-10am, 10-11am and 5:30-6:30pm with Lady Cecily.
            Youth Choir  1-2pm
            KWC 3-5pm
            ??7PM-Teen Party, East Kingdom???

Tuesday, August 7 – Pennsic Youth Players: 9-10am, 10-11am and 5:30-6:30pm with Lady Cecily.
            Youth Choir  12-1pm
            1-3pm? Meet the Board and Corporate Officers?  (last year it was on Tueday)
            KWC 3-5pm
Wednesday, August 8 – Pennsic Youth Players: 9-10am, 10-11am and 5:30-6:30pm with Lady Cecily.
            Youth Choir 12-1pm
            1-4pm Children’s Fete (all ages)
            KWC 3-5pm
Thursday, August 9 – Pennsic Youth Players: 9-10am, 10-11am and 5:30-6:30pm with Lady Cecily.
            Youth Choir dress rehearsal  TBA
            KWC dress rehearsal and recording 1-3pm

            2-3:30 Amphitheater Youth Theater Festival (performances by the Pennsic Youth Players)
            KWC Concert  6-7pm