pennsicdance: Any dance classes for the youth at Pennsic this year?

Krege, Barbara B KREGE at aps.edu
Tue Apr 17 05:02:45 PDT 2012

Cariadoc, were you at the children's dance class last year at Pennsic?
It was huge--my guess there were at least 35 children (of all ages) plus their adults, dancing during that hour.

Some of these children, would never be in an adult dance class.
But they loved it and had fun, and they were introduced to dance or had a chance to dance.
And maybe some of their parents were introduced to dance, who normally don't dance and found that they loved dancing too.

I have taught dances to groups of just youth, a number of times--two occasions for performances, another time for a competition and then at an inter-kingdom war.
These children were ages 7 to 17 and they took it seriously, usually from the beginning, in that they were attentative and respectful and focused.  There was not much horseplay or playing around.

I have had children (of all ages) dance with the adults in other dance classes -- because their parents wanted to dance and there was no one to watch the child.  There can be a lot of disruption in teaching an essentially adult group, with a 5 year old (and other ages) wanting to play.  And I have seen adults express displeasure that the 5 year old (and other ages) is "dancing" with them.
Sometimes I have held the child, so that the parent can dance.  Sometimes the parent has danced with the child in their arms.
And I have danced with 5 and 6 year olds in an evening's dance ball--you adapt the movements and tell them a lot about what to do next--the adults dancing will reach out and help direct the children where to go and what to do next.
But I always did what I could do, to make dancing available to all ages and to accomodate the parents (of small children), who wanted to dance.

I don't see having children's and youth dance classes as a way of segregating them.
I see it as an opportunity for them to dance and to have fun dancing.
I see it as an opportunity for them to learn dances, to learn some of the dance ettiquette, to introduce their parents to dance, and to discover the joy of dancing.
Some dances are just more tailormade for children's boundless energy and sometimes lack of focus.
Having adults there to help and interspersed among the groups will help them learn more quickly and stay focused.

The youth who already are dancing will continue to take the adult classes.
Those youth, who get a chance to dance at Pennsic with the youth, may be braver to take future adult classes  and to continue dancing.
I have had many youth over the years, tell me that it is intimidating to them, to walk into an adult A&S class--because they don't know if they are welcome or not.

Another suggestion, is to get feedback from the youth, who attend dance classes, throughout Pennsic this year, to help in planning future Pennsic's dance schedules.

Barbara
(THL Jayne Barber)