pennsicdance: Any dance classes for the youth at Pennsic this year?

David Learmonth david.a.learmonth at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 12:09:00 PDT 2012

It is an excellent idea that we do plan some children's classes into the
mix at Pennsic.  It seemed to go over really well last year!

Two quick points to mention:

1.  If we do these, we should make sure to have a lot of volunteer ringers
and/or other adults involved.  Last year I think each small group of kids
had a sufficient other dance teacher in their group, not to teach directly,
but just to guide them and move them in the right direction and such.  I've
run some kids classes before at local events where it was just me and the
children, and for a physical activity like that it can get a bit crazy, as
some of them will want to just start running around, but if there are at
least a few adults involved, it can help keep it together.

2.  Now I'm not sure how exactly to approach this, so probably just Young
Kids and Older Kids will work fine.  But I found once upon a time that it
wasn't so much the Age of the kids involved, but their Attention Span /
Rambunctiousness that determined the level of dance complexity they could
handle.  Of course if we run the Young Kids classes first, then we can
generally tell which ones would be good candidates to attend the Older Kids
classes as well.  :)
(no offense intended to the kids or anything.  But I remember an excellent
4 year old girl, and a very disruptive 10 year old boy.  Though Boys vs
Girls may result for some differences as well, but I wouldn't think we'd
want to do a Boys dance class, vs a Girls.)

I can definitely help out as a ringer, but I know I'm going to be busy at
Pennsic, so if someone else (perhaps with children) wants to take the lead
on this, I think that would work best.  But if no one can, let me know and
I potentially can do it.  (but I'll need help at the class!)   :)

A Children's Ball is definitely an interesting idea.  Not sure whether to
make something formal, or just have a few of these classes themselves, and
call the last one the ball?  I'm just wondering if there would really be a
huge difference in the "Class" vs the "Ball", though it might be fun for
the kids to have a "Ball", and we could maybe get a band for it?  And
snacks?

Darius