No subject

Sun Jun 17 13:04:34 PDT 2012

three and four of the dance "La Caccia d'Amore".  Part four is the
section on which the 20th-century invention "the Pinwheel game" is
based.  Part three is an even sillier chasing game.  Both are useful
intros to Italian steps - you do a teeny bit of stepping, then you get
to the silly stuff, so it goes down easy.  I've taught these quickly
to we-hate-Italian-dance stickjock crowds with no problem at all.  At
some point I'll write up the rest of La Caccia (it's done, but the
writeups take time.)  I don't have recorded music for this, but the
version of La Caccia on the Jouissance CD works very nicely (which is
why I didn't bother - support good commercial recordings....)

The handouts are two-sided and very detailed, including step
reconstructions as well as figures, plus notes on the major choices I
made when doing the reconstructions so you can see where you might
disagree with me.

The musical arrangements were done directly from the lute tablature
by a local musician, with some tweaking by myself for added danceability;
if musicians out there want some more technical detail, I can tell
you what I did.

The CDs are nothing very special - they are intended to be useful
rather than fabulously beautiful music.  Mostly it's recorder and
gamba; I think we added a percussion track on one or two pieces.
We're tentatively planning to do much fancier recordings of these
pieces sometime this winter, but we wanted to have something to hand
people to practice to.  Some of the handouts do list other recordings
where I was able to locate them - a couple of the pieces I simply
don't know of any commercial ones.

All of this is freely copyable provided the handouts remain unaltered
(both sides copied, no changes made).  They do tend to change as I
improve things or people point out typos, so if you want the absolute
latest version, talk to me.  (The Dolce has changed noticeably since I
taught it at War last year, for example.)  Sorry, but this is ongoing
dance research, and my thoughts do evolve!

I will send these out to people for the costs of the copying and
packaging/postage - I can't afford to subsidize it all myself.  If
you're in the U.S., call it $5.00 for the whole set (eight handouts,
eight sheet musics, two CDs); if you're overseas, we can figure out
what is realistic.  Obviously these are not intended as money-makers.
If you just want a subset, email me - if it all fits in one envelope
with only one stamp I'll just send it.  (an offer which will remain
open as long as the volume does not become annoying)

The 16thc material was produced for my two recent dance workshop
events, "Al Palazzo della Contessa" (Dragonship Haven, East, June 15)
and "An Introduction to Caroso's Il Ballarino" (Caerthe, Outlands,
June 22).  People who went to one of those can talk about them if they
want to....  I'm taking temporary refuge in early 19thc dance for a
breather before I go back to Caroso.  (Ask me abut quadrilles, please,
especially the fairy/chicken issue) The Dragonship event is planned to
be annual, although probably moving back to earlier June or mid-May.

I will NOT be at Pennsic for personal reasons (I may never go to
Pennsic again, actually), so if you want any of this, email me.  A lot
of copies are already circulating around - if you have one and want to
know if it's changed lately, likewise, email me.  If you are planning
to make a bunch more copies because you are teaching, again, email me
- I'd just as soon have the most recent versions multiplying, although
I realize this is a lost cause.  :)

Since I've already done the Caroso workshop in two different places
with very different groups of dancers, if you happen to want the full
workshop put on for your group, and can afford to get me there (I
can't fly places at my own expense, sorry) I'd be enthusiastically
ready to teach it all again.  It's roughly 6.5 hours of teaching (we
did it 10am-6pm, with numerous breaks for food and rest) for six
dances and all the steps, starting *completely* from scratch - no
16thc experience needed.  It's a real marathon, but your group *will*
come out knowing the basics of Caroso's dance.

Cheerio,

Susan
(Alejandra de Miera)