pennsicdance: Dance Floor Maintenance - Quick questions

White, John john.white at drexel.edu
Thu Jun 26 07:45:20 PDT 2008

> From:  David Learmonth

> Admittedly that sort of thing is small, so I could get it when I get
> there.  The plywood is the most critical.

I was there for the initial build of the dance floor, and I remember
that the flooring itself is actually subflooring, rather than another
grade of plywood.  This was done initially, I believe, because they
were putting together the bulk of the floor and subflooring is less
expensive than regular plywood, while being just as strong (and perhaps
being tongue and groove automatically - i.e. not requiring extra
milling).
As I recall, the main drawback was that its definitely a rough surface
to paint any detail on - not even masking tape made it easier to get
crisp
lines because the tape just couldn't be secured well enough to make a
seal.

Now, if the floor is being replaced/upgraded in sections, it might be
cost effective to replace it with a better grade of wood.  However,
subflooring
is designed to be walked on, while regular plywood isn't necessarily,
possibly
increasing the cost yet again.

Hopefully someone with the details will chime in - I know that the first
floor wasn't built on a whim or an impulse ...

> Thanks
> Darius

      \\Dafydd C