pennsicdance: need some music

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Thu Sep 15 20:54:58 PDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 01:54:10PM -0400, Genevieve de Montmorency wrote:

> Now for some evidence from original sources to sustain my assumption
> and my intuition about this piece: Da Piacenza states that the piva is
> 'preste?a' in relation to the bassadanza  (line 219).  He says that you
> put two of these pive in one of bassadanza which would put it at a
> metronome marking of about 100 per piva.

.. does that mean you dance 2 piva steps in one measure of bassadanza?
Which isn't a statement about the piva misura, which is the question
at hand, unless you think Amoroso is quadneria.

> He goes on to say that you can
> also dance 2 piva in a quadernaria,

... which is what happens in Anello: 2 piva steps in one measure of
quadneria.

> Thus a beat of around 84 for Amoroso

Is that 84 pivas per minute, 42 pivas per minute, or 21 pivas per
minute? If you mean 42, then the Jouissance recording is about that
fast, while the Gaita, Dustin Cooper, and Dragon Scale recordings are
all significantly slower than 42.

-- Gregory