pennsicdance: need some music

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Mon Sep 12 21:06:35 PDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 01:50:34AM +0200, Judith wrote:

> Although I have found references to people dancing a "slow piva" from
> contemporary chronicles, so I do not think that piva always had to be a fast
> dance.

The problem with this is that someone will immediately seize on this as a reason
to not follow 99% of the evidence, which says that the piva is a fast tempi.

Note that the Saltarello step commonly has a different name when it's
slow: Saltarello Tedesco, when it's in 4. (German == square.) And the
Saltarello step is also frequently danced in the bassadanza tempi.

The term Piva Tedesco (a step) does appear once in these sources, in
one of the many Geloxia versions, for the piva steps done in quadneria
in the middle of Geloxia. I vaguely recall a piva step used for a
measure or two in a bassadanza section in a few dances.

So if you want Amoroso to be slow, your best bet is to either find a
marking in the music indicating it's quadneria, or that it calls for
pivi tedesci. I don't have Smith at hand, but I don't think either is
true. And that's 99% of the evidence.

-- Gregory, always happy to see a dicussion like this, it always
educates me