pennsicdance: need some music

Judith judithsca at aol.com
Sun Sep 11 16:50:34 PDT 2005

<<which shows 5 recordings of Amoroso. Beware that some recordings have
it at a dirge tempo instead of at the fast piva tempo that you're
expecting; some also extend some of the phrases in various ways.>>

-- Gregory>>

Although I have found references to people dancing a "slow piva" from
contemporary chronicles, so I do not think that piva always had to be a fast
dance.  The piva is, after all, nothing more than a double altered and
accelerated by the tempo of the music. It could very well be that it
originated as a fast, folkish sort of dance, and then as time went on, and
tastes changed, they also developed a taste for a slower version.