name of group (was Re: pennsicdance: need some music)

(John) Byron Boyd lutenist at peoplepc.com
Sun Sep 11 19:45:13 PDT 2005

> Return of the Pipers by the Philadelphia Renaissance Wind Band (my fave)

Remember that this group is now known as Piffaro, The Renaissance Band or,
more commonly, simply Piffaro.  This, I have been told, is the Italian word
for "piper".  The name was changed when the ensemble moved to Deutsche
Grammophon Gesellschaft, which felt that a new name would help market the
group to an international audience.

Incidentally, this is (with a few, rare exceptions), the only recording of
this dance used here in Meridies.

Iohann se pipere
Sable, a gyron argent
Ars Longa Vita Brevis (Art endures, life is brief)