pennsicdance: Gathering Peascods

Alex Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Thu Sep 8 04:49:13 PDT 2005

At 08:41 AM 9/7/2005 -0700, Sean D. Sorrentino wrote:
>except i think the instructions say, take a double
>into the center, take hands, and take (4? 8?) slips
>left. then fall back. . . .

I don't know whose instructions there are, but they certainly aren't
Playford's. Playford's instructions are: "Men hands, and goe round in the
inside, and come to your places _._ We. as much _:_" No indication that
there is supposed to be even a single beat for taking hands, or for coming
to their places, that cannot also be used to go round in the inside. So
that means that up to the full 12 beats may be used to go round, as long as
the men are out of the way at the end of the 12th beat, so that the women
can start round.

If the dancers have all practiced double-time marching at close distance,
and if they squeeze close together in the middle, it might be feasible to
do this with 15 or 20 couples. With less than 10 couples it can be done
better, and will look more like other period or SOOP dances. And if the
musicians slow way down or stop, then any number of couples can do it
correctly, but in that case I doubt that the music would be exactly correct.

--
Henry of Maldon/Alex Clark