pennsicdance: acceptance of various categories of dances (was Musicians and Venues and GOOP, Oh My!)

lutenist at peoplepc.com lutenist at peoplepc.com
Tue Sep 6 08:30:34 PDT 2005

I apologize for the delay in the posting of this comment, which I sent twice on the 2nd but for an unknown reason did not appear in the list.

> But seriously, before we make or perpetuate any kind of rules against GOOP
> dances, maybe we ought to stop and think whether we have a good dividing
> line between GOOP and SOOP or SPRAY (Strictly Period, Reconstructed
> Accurately, Yay!). Can we really tell which is which?

While following this string, I have begun considering another type of dance.
I don't know how prevalent this practice is in other Kingdoms, but here in
Meridies we have a few, popular dances that were created by various dance
masters, some of them Laurels.  Their choreography is in the style of the
Renaissance, and the music is either a true Renaissance tune or a modern one
set, again, in the style of the period.  I see no reason why these should be
prohibited, but am interested in what some of you may think.

Could we call these HOOPs (Historically-patterned-out-of-period dances)?  Or
perhaps QOOPs (Quasi-out-of-period dances)?

I am familiar with the terms "OOPs" and "GOOPs", but not "SOOPs".  Could
some kind gentle please help this ignorant person?

Iohann se pipere
Sable, a gyron argent
Ars Longa Vita Brevis
(Art endures, life is brief)