pennsicdance: tuning gambas in high humidity

(John) Byron Boyd lutenist at peoplepc.com
Mon Aug 29 22:31:42 PDT 2005

I'll try your technique during Pennsic XXXV, unless I play in similar
conditions sooner.  My plan was to see if the strings would become saturated
so that they would remain stable, but after increasing the tension several
times while retuning I feared that a string might break, so I quit.  I
remember that Master Ottavio wished me luck in keeping it in tune.  On the
last day of the War I played it during the daytime in Merchant's Row and did
not need to retune it.

Was Jordi Savall playing in the outdoors?  Humidity is not a significant
problem in an air-conditioned concert hall.

Do you remember the joke?

Iohann.