pennsicdance: Comments from Octavio de Flores (part two)

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Mon Aug 29 20:43:48 PDT 2005

On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 08:14:14PM -0500, (John) Byron Boyd wrote:

>  Both myself and another musician attempted to play our viola da
> gambas in the dance tent during Pennsic XXXIV, but the great
> humidity prevented our instruments from remaining in tune for as
> long as even one dance, so we abandoned this idea.

I successfully played my gamba at the war some years ago. After some
experimenting, it seems that the key is to have really sticky pegs
(generally guaranteed by the high humidity), and then to play for a
while after tuning to see if anything plans on slipping. I saw Jordi
Savall in concert last year, and He did the same thing. He even told a
gamba joke in the middle of the process...

-- Gregory