pennsicdance: Dance Music at Pennsic

Maugorn at aol.com Maugorn at aol.com
Mon Aug 29 08:11:58 PDT 2005

In a message dated 8/28/05 2:53:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
alexbclark at pennswoods.net writes:

> At 09:32 AM 8/28/2005 -0400, Octavio de Flores wrote:
> >5.  How does Black Nag (1673) escape the Pennsic OOP restriction?  If you
> >argue that it is "similar to" Playford 1, it opens up a pandora's box of
> >opinions about why my favorite dance is "like" Playford 1.
>
> Black Nag (1657) is very similar to Millison's Jig (1651) in both its
> figures and its music.

This reinforces something that I've long maintained: that publication date
does not necessarily reflect when the music and dance were composed or
choreographed.

The allowance of a couple of Playford II dances is nothing more than the
acknowledgement that there were a handful of "stragglers" that got missed in the
grand roundup that was Playford I.   It could be said to "open up a Pandora's
Box", but that claim will fall short when you sincerely chart the stylistic
evolution that was beginning to happen and the aesthetic revolution that Playford
facilitated.
In the music, especially, you really CAN tell, if you listen, that Playford I
was smack dab in the middle of a transition phase where popular music was
concerned.  And if you look at what dances were included and added later, you can
also very clearly see what was "the new cool thing" to these folks, and what
styles were going out.  You can also see "fads", chart trends, and hear what
composers were being emulated (or plundered) for new dances.
Plus, there are other sources for alot of the music, and sure enough, some
dance tunes are found there, and when you dig and find the composers and compare
their life spans, it becomes difficult to justify as "pre-existing", dances
that would have had to be composed before the composer (and thus the music) was
born.  Granted, some of the music/dance combinations were a bit liquid, but
still, you get the point.

Allowing in a couple of obvious stragglers doesn't meant that the floodgates
have to open.   We ARE allowed to have common sense after all.  (Well at LEAST
I am.  I have a dispensation from a Pope!)

Maug