pennsicdance: Dance Music at Pennsic

Alex Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Sun Aug 28 11:52:45 PDT 2005

At 09:32 AM 8/28/2005 -0400, Octavio de Flores wrote:
>5.  How does Black Nag (1673) escape the Pennsic OOP restriction?  If you
>argue that it is "similar to" Playford 1, it opens up a pandora's box of
>opinions about why my favorite dance is "like" Playford 1.

Black Nag (1657) is very similar to Millison's Jig (1651) in both its
figures and its music. Of the three parts that Black Nag is divided into,
the first seems to be identical, the second might be identical except that
opposite corners change places instead of end couples with their partners,
and only the third part is more than a little bit different. The biggest
difference is that Millison's Jig ends with the first couple at the bottom,
which suggests to me that it should be repeated until all couples have
returned to their places. BTW, this partly justifies the adaptation of
Black Nag where the first couple casts to the bottom for another repeat of
the dance, although an adaptation that gets the first couple to the bottom
by the end of the last figure would be better justified.

The only other dances from early editions of Playford other than the first
that seem to be widely known in the SCA are Trenchmore and Sellengers
Round. It seems to me that both of these dances have bigger problems with
reconstruction, and I seriously doubt that the versions of the latter that
are frequently done in the SCA could be correct.

--
Henry/Alex