pennsicdance: more fringy ponderings

rahne at hvi.net rahne at hvi.net
Sat Aug 27 05:33:36 PDT 2005

> I believe that any culture that has "evolved" may
> continue to evolve, rather than stagnating and repeating itself.

Evolve, yes.  Not become the victim of cultural cleansing, as some here on this list seem to be advocating.  Those dances which are still enjoyed have survived...they are the "fittest" in the SCA's evolutionary process.  I do not think they are enough of a threat to the enormous number of truly period dances performed to justify their abolition.  Somebody else on this list suggested something along the lines of "If you don't like a particular kind of dance, sit on the sidelines."  Well...there ya go.  We'll dance it, it'll be over, and we move on.

(Rambling a bit on a Saturday morning...)

--Gillian de Whittemere