pennsicdance: re: a word from the fringe

Kristin Cool frogdancer at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 25 12:34:41 PDT 2005

"So I'm one who has largely abandoned the tent in favor of the Barn.  I am certainly in a minority on this list, but I want to put in a voice for the "others."  Most of those who prefer the Barn format are, I suspect, not subscribed to this list.  They are not well-represented in this debate.  I would hate for people to make assumptions about "What People Want" based on an inaccurate sampling."

Amen! I can say that I have been "silently" watching this list for the past 4 or 5 years now. I had been going to Pennsic for almost 20 years, from the time I was 6 years old and almost every night was spent at the barn dancing. (FYI, I was never part of the "puppy pile"). I have not been to Pennsic in a few years, but I started reading the list to keep in touch with what was going on. And I have been very upset with the developments. I am so glad to read that I am apparently not the only one who doesn't care how period a dance is.

I remember wanting, desperately, to do Road and being told "no, it's not period". Well, I didn't care, and I still don't care. I liked to dance and that was the dance I wanted to do. I joined the SCA to have fun, not to become the period police. I realize that to maintain a certain environment, you don't want people walking around in jeans, but come on. If it even resembles something period, and people are enjoying it, then why not let it be?

Just so anyone doesn't think I'm too liberal here, I was known in my shire as the "dance nazi" so I do have my rules, but getting people dancing and having fun is more important than debating over the authenticity of a dance. The truly period dances are beautiful, and I love doing them too. But I don't see the need to discriminate and cause a debate over the issue. Let's just dance!

Oh yeah, and if anyone remembers me (small little blonde girl always dancing), I'd love to hear from you and what you've been up to!

Agnes Barbarosa
(mka Kristin Cool)